How To Get Involved
Family Promise Essex depends on the generosity of individuals, congregations and local businesses in Essex County to continue the mission of helping families exit homelessness and re-enter the dream of permanent housing. By bringing the community together on the issue of family homelessness, FPE is able to address a major social problem in a holistic and effective way. Once our community becomes fully engaged and more people understand the root causes of homelessness, we can take steps together to eradicate family homelessness.
Watch our “How Can I Help?” short video to learn more about volunteering in the FPE shelter program.
1) Become a Host Congregation
- Guests consist of only three to four families at a time (14 person maximum).
- Each congregation hosts families for one or two weeks at a time.
- Families stay overnight not 24 hours a day. Saturday would be the only day where guests might remain in the congregation.
- Congregations provide pantry items, dinners, overnight lodging, activities or crafts for the children, and companionship and networking opportunities for our families.
- FPE runs criminal background checks on program participants.
- FPE conducts intakes interviews to ensure that the families are ready for the program and do not have any life controlling issues that would prevent them from achieving independent living goals.
- FPE driver transports the families to and from the host facility and carries their bedding and luggage to each new host location.
- On-site showers are not necessary as showers can be provided at our Resource Center.
- Laundry facilities are not necessary as volunteers can take the families to a Laundromat in the community.
- Volunteers will be trained by the FPE Manager of Community Engagement.
- Volunteers will have 24/7 access to FPE staff through the hotline.
- Volunteers have support and assistance from other congregations in the FPE network.
FPE runs background checks on all volunteers and program participants
Can’t Host? Become a Support Congregation
- If your congregation does not have space to host families you can still become involved by supporting other host congregations.
- Provide pantry items, meals or volunteers to help hosting congregations.
If you would like more information about becoming a Host or Support Congregation contact FPE’s Manager of Community Engagement, Melissa Perales
There are three main ways to volunteer for Family Promise Essex:
- Get involved at your church or synagogue when they’re hosting FPE families
- Evening / Weekend Hosting- share time and meals with children and their families, offering them community and support as they work towards sustainable independence.
- Make a meal or provide pantry items- Provide hot, nutritious food for children and families who may not otherwise have a nourishing meal or provide staples and snacks for families to eat for breakfast or lunch.
- Overnights- Serve as overnight hosts who help children with homework, stay with families overnight, and help them get their mornings off to a great start.
- Tutor children in our Youth and Family Program
- An “Ambassador” is someone who helps FPE by volunteering in areas that are outside of our weekly shelter rotation, and Youth and Family Program slots. (Of course some people are Volunteers, After School Tutors and Ambassadors! )
- Pick a holiday to celebrate with our FPE families/use your skills to work in our office/organize drives for backpacks or pajamas or anything else you think our families might need/the Ambassador Program Volunteer possibilities are limited only by your imagination.
- Become an FPE Ambassador
Other Ways to Give
Planned Giving is an effective and mutually beneficial way of giving to Family Promise. By making a planned gift, you assist us in our mission to help low-income and homeless families reclaim and maintain their independence, while enjoying the benefits of capital gains tax savings, increased income, and income-tax savings. Most importantly, a planned gift maximizes your giving potential while providing for your future financial security and that of your loved ones.
Donating appreciated stock can provide you with significant tax benefits. Your stock donation to Family Promise provides you with a charitable deduction for the full, fair-market value of stocks and securities held longer than one year. Also, by donating appreciated stock to Family Promise you will avoid paying capital gains taxes on any profit.
Please be sure your name and address is provided so we may acknowledge your gift and provide you with a tax receipt.
Family Promise Essex’s Federal Tax ID #: 22-284-1105
Many employers offer programs to match their employees’ contributions to charitable organizations. You can double or even triple your gift to Family Promise by sending us your employer’s Matching Gift form to the attention of Danee Sarman, Development Associate, Family Promise Essex, 46 Park Street, Montclair, NJ 07042 or scan it and email to email@example.com.
Given current restrictions and delays in receiving mail, please consider making a gift online instead of sending a check. Thank you!
If you would like to send us a donation using check by mail, please send it to Family Promise Essex, 46 Park Street, Montclair, NJ 07042
Federal Tax ID – 22-284-1105
Our Promise Makers members help children and families avoid or recover from homelessness every month with an automatic recurring gift to Family Promise.
Now you can create your own fundraising campaign for FPE and share it on social media networks.
If you wish to dedicate a birthday, wedding, bar/bat mitzvah, or raise funds as a tribute or memorial dedication to a loved one, simply click on the link below to create your own personalized fundraising page for FPE. We thank you in advance for your advocacy on behalf of families in need.
Start your own FPE fundraising page today!