The Housing and Stabilization Program and More
In this program, FPE works to house and stabilize families that were previously in our shelter program. This program includes short term rental assistance, security deposits, move in assistance, utility assistance and youth and family programs. FPE provides a free after-school tutoring five days a week for youth who are currently or have previously been in our programs, as well as local youth from the community.
Designed to help reduce the significant effects of homelessness on children while providing parents with relief from the cost of childcare, this program includes academic tutoring, enrichment activities, and healthy living education. Volunteers from Seton Hall University, Montclair High School and the community provide pro bono tutoring four days a week to help students increase their proficiency as needed in language arts, math, social studies, science, and history. On Fridays, students participate in enrichment activities led by volunteers who often present a special activity or workshop.
In addition, FPE provides school supplies and, when possible, clothing as well as birthday and holiday parties. When funds permit, our program includes summer camp opportunities and other educational/community-building field trips and family trips. FPE also hosts a Girl Scout Troop made up almost entirely of girls in our programs. If you are interested in volunteering with the Youth and Family Program, please contact Melissa Perales.
Facts concerning children experiencing homelessness
- They are four times more likely to show delayed development.
- They are twice as likely to have learning disabilities as non-homeless children.
- Within one year, 41 percent of homeless children attend two different schools and 28 percent attend three or more schools. Each change sets them back four to six months.
- When in grades three to 12, only 48 percent of homeless children were proficient in reading and only 43 percent were proficient in math.
(Facts gathered from National Center on Family Homelessness, Coalition for the Homeless, and the National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth.)
Thank you to Sterling National Bank, a supporter of Family Promise Essex’s Family and Youth Program!
Does your family need assistance?
- Does your family need shelter?
- Are you looking for prevention or stabilization services?
- Do your children need an after school program?